Well, we got to All Children's, and the whole time we just were going to see a hematologist (didn't know the name of the office, just the suite number). Well, we get there, and it's the "Cancer and Blood Disorder Institute". So, my eyes well up and I start fearing the worst. Especially when I see young children standing in pj's and obviously going through treatments. Then, I see a girl the girls' age walking with her mom and she tells her Mom she's scared. Then, it was hard to hold my composure. Finally, they called us in and my poor boy who is traumatized with Dr.'s offices now since his blood draw last month started flipping out before they even touched him...oh jeez. We get through the initial weigh in, blood pressure check and all that, and meet with the Dr. The whole time he was talking I wondered why we were even there. He kept saying well, his numbers don't concern me. We'll do another blood draw in a month to compare and make sure everything continues going well.
He did ask us about our family's backgrounds, which I knew it was because he was concerned about Thallassemia (because of his hemoglobin f being elevated). So, I asked specifically about it, and he said Joshua's cell size would usually be smaller, and his are normal. So, if after monitoring his blood results and he thinks it could be thallassemia it would be the mildest of cases where all he'd need was iron supplements. He said he's not concerned. Then, we had to follow up with a hemoglobin finger prick check...which was awful and literally took 4 of us to just hold him still for a little finger prick. I'll call this afternoon and get those results, and hopefully it's above 10.4, and that will show if his hemoglobin is rising. We go back Jan. 6th for more blood work.
He did ask us about our family's backgrounds, which I knew it was because he was concerned about Thallassemia (because of his hemoglobin f being elevated). So, I asked specifically about it, and he said Joshua's cell size would usually be smaller, and his are normal. So, if after monitoring his blood results and he thinks it could be thallassemia it would be the mildest of cases where all he'd need was iron supplements. He said he's not concerned. Then, we had to follow up with a hemoglobin finger prick check...which was awful and literally took 4 of us to just hold him still for a little finger prick. I'll call this afternoon and get those results, and hopefully it's above 10.4, and that will show if his hemoglobin is rising. We go back Jan. 6th for more blood work.
(Joshua showing Mommy his boo boo and his baby hospital bracelet-he was totally playing the wounded card and having Mommy kiss his finger and then Daddy-over and over-SO CUTE!)
Well, I called back and Joshua's hemoglobin was at an 11.4! Woo Hoo!! So, the Dr. we saw today (who happens to be the director of the Institute) called me himself. I didn't know if that was good or bad-but he quickly reassured me that it was definitely good! He said to not give Joshua his iron supplements and to decrease his milk intake (he was drinking around 24 oz. of milk a day and the Dr. said to only give him 16 oz. of milk a day since there's no iron in it, and that way he'll be hungrier and to fill him up with iron rich foods. So, it was an excellent phone call. Then, we'll find out on Jan. 6th how he's doing without the supplements and overall. So grateful for this outcome.
My baby playing peek-a-boo :)
Here are my girls who are SO excited about Christmas!!


No comments:
Post a Comment